Skip to main content

SARAVANA BHAVAN STYLE SAMBAR / HOTEL SAMBAR

Hi Everyone,
SARAVANA BHAVAN SAMBAR !! There is a magic in this sambar ..Before marriage I heard about Saravana Bhavan Sambar so many times and my friends use to tell me it has such a aroma and taste that no one can prepare such a sambar, After my marriage I was so tempted and I urged my husband to take me to Saravana Bhavan ,Finally one day we went to that hotel and I immediately ordered for Sambar idli , at once I tasted a spoon of that sambar I told my husband "I don’t think it is so complicated to prepare I can prepare this in home also!!" (And I got a stare from my husband too).
Soon after coming home I surfed for the recipe and got so many recipes ,I tried all versions and finally came out with the perfect taste of hotel sambar.
The main magic in hotel style sambar is the tamarind and jaggery .The combination of this sour and sweet taste gives you such an awesome sambar.
Iam so happy to share that secret recipe with you too J

IDLI WITH SAMBAR


 SERVINGS : SERVES FOR 7 MEMBERS
INGREDIENTS :
Toor dal / Thuvaram parupu     –  1 cup
Pearl Onions                             –  8 nos
Tomato                                      -  1 (small).
Salt                                            -  as required.
Tamarind                                   -  1 cm piece.
GRINDING :
Tomato                                            –   1 (small)
Coconut                                           -    5 tsp
Coriander powder                            –   1 tsp
Chilli powder                                    -    2 tsp
Turmeric powder                              -   1/2 tsp.
Roasted channa dal / Pottu kadalai -   1 tsp.

TO SAUTE:
Oil                                                     –  2 tsp.
Mustard                                             -  1/4 tsp.
Fenugreek/vendhayam                     –  1/4 tsp.
Cumin / Zeera                                   -   1/2 tsp.
Urad dal                                             –  1/2 tsp.
Onion                                                 –  1 (big).
Curry leaves                                      –  a sprig.
Green chilles                                     –  1 no
Jaggery                                             –  1 tsp
Coriander leaves                               –  a bunch.

PREPARATION:
1) In a pressure cooker boil tur dal along with 1 tomato and pearl onions for 2 whistles.

2) Chop the big onions to medium size pieces , slit the green chillies and chop the tomatoes too.
3) Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 mins and extract the juice and discard the pulp.
4) Grind our grinding ingredients to fine paste.


5) Once the pressure in cooker subsides open the cooker and smash the boiled toor dal well with a ladle.


6) After smashing add the ground masala and tamarind water and boil for 7 mins.
7) In a pan heat oil and when oil heats add mustard followed by cumin , urad dal , curry leaves , green chillies , onions and fry till onions are fried , now add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
8) When done add the sauted ingredients to boiling dal along with the jaggery and mix well and boil for 5 mins.
9) Check for salt and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
NOTES :
1) The secret behind the hotel style sambar is the tamarind and jaggery so don’t skip it.

2) This Sambar goes good even with rice but I suggest for Idli , Dosa and paniyaram as it tastes amazing with tiffen only.






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have