Skip to main content

SOFT IDLI


Hi All,
Idli and dosa batter is very essential in every south Indian home.Weekly once we will grind the batter and  refrigerate it for a week.The day I grind the batter is good day for me ! I will be in mood “Woooowww!! Idli batter is ready so no worry for a week about bfast and dinner “ its like big achievement .

Now the prices of all ingredients went high so we are pushed to a position to cook delicious at the same economical.So I always follow this ecnomical ratio for idli batter and I bet my idlis are best in my family ( very proud!!) . My brother in law is a fan for my idlis and I will always get appreciation from him.
The secret combination is as below,

INGREDIENTS:
Idli rice – 7 cups.
Urad dal – 1 cup (I used white , whole)
Fenugreek seeds – 5 tsp.

PREPARATION :
1) Rinse the rice well with running water to remove the husk and dirt , then soak in water for 3 hours.
2) Same way rinse the urad dal well with running water and soak for minimum 1 ½ hours to 3 hours (maximum 3 hours soaking is enough don’t soak more than that else the batter will not puff during grinding).Soak fenugreek also along with uraddal.
3) After 3 hours first grind urad dal along with fenugreek to fine paste either in your grinder or in your mixie.In case of grinder it takes about 20  to 25 mins , you can see the batter puffs up like foam during grinding , it is the right consistency of perfect batter.

ADDED URAD DAL TO GRINDER

AFTER 25 MINS SEE HOW THE BATTER HAS PUFFEDUP

4) Empty the ground batter to a wide bowl and grind the rice to fine paste and add to grounded urad dal and mix well.
RIGHT CONSISTENCY OF BATTER
5) Add salt and mix really well.
6) Leave the batter undisturbed for 7 to 8 hours for fermentation.
7) After 8 hours you can see the batter has fermented and puffed to double the actual quantity , mix well ( I forgot to take pictures of fermented batter!! sorry!!).
8) Grease your idli plates and pour a ladle full of batter in each hole and boil for 15 mins.
9) Insert a tooth pick in middle of the idli to check clean , if it comes out clean then idlis are done.
10)   Remove from idli plates and serve hot with any sidedish of your choice.
11)   I served with carrot chutney , veg kuruma also goes well with idlis.

NOTES :
1) Choose good quality urad dal to get perfect soft idlis.
2) Try to grind in grinder to get good yield of urad dal batter and also makes it puffier.After grinding if you touch urad dal batter you must feel it like foam balls , it is the right consistency.
3) I use cloth method to boil idlis , you can choose either cloth method or greasing plate method of your choice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have